Hampstead School opened on Wednesday 13 September, 1961 as a comprehensive school educating some boys and girls.
The first Headteacher was Philip Halsey who became the Chair of the new Secondary Examinations and Assessment Council (1988-90). Successive Headteahcers were Ted Field from 1967-1983, Dame Tamsyn Imison (1984 – 2000) and Andy Knowles (2000 – 2006). The present Headteacher, Jacques Szemalikowski MA BSc(Hons), NPQH, ChPys MinstP. FRSA started in 2006.
Originally there was a house system, each house having a junior and senior section. The first houses were named after Chaucer (red) and Newton (gold). Later houses were Auden, Drake, Fleming and Hilary, ancient and modern poets, explorers and scientists. There was a uniform of black blazers and grey trousers for the boys and royal blue blazers and grey skirts for the girls. All students wore striped ties with the house colour.
Before Hampstead School was established, there was a private boys school on the site built by the Haberdashers Company, moving from Hoxton. This school opened in 1902 having taken four years to build. The Science and Technical blocks were added later in 1910. During the Second World War the old block was bombed and had to be re-built. At the start of the Haberdashers School in 1902 Westbere Road ended at the school. The site was chosen as a healthy place away from the City.
Since it opened Hampstead School has enjoyed a very good reputation as a school with excellent examination results and strongly motivated students. There are currently 1280 students on roll including some 235 in the Sixth Form.
1997 – Independent Learning Centre was officially opened by Lord Puttnam
2005 – Sixth Form Centre was officially opened by Sir Tim Brighhouse
2010 – Dame Tamsyn Imison Building was officially opened by Dame Tamsyn Imison
2016 – New East Block & Sports Hall opened to students (official opening pending)
2017 – Old 1961 building will be demolished and new all-weather sports pitch and free association space will be completed
2017 – Newly refurbished South Block (formerly Science) will be opened to students (official opening pending)