The Geography Department consists of three geography teachers. The emphasis in the learning is that geography should be relevant and up to date so lessons and topics and issues studied reflect this. A summary of the subjects studied in Geography are below.
|Key Stage 3||Key Stage 4||Key Stage 5|
Key Stage 3 topics studied include some of the following: Antarctica, Deserts, Population, Coasts, Tourism, Development, Volcanoes and Earthquakes but these can change from year to year.
A strong emphasis is placed on literacy and numeracy and with lessons including graphical, descriptive, persuasive writing, explanation, model making and creative tasks; all students are assured varied lessons with home learning activities set accordingly.
For Key Stage 4 Geography, the AQA A Specification is taught. Six different topics are studied, three of which are physical geography and three are human geography.
Topics taught in physical geography are chosen from coasts, volcanoes and earthquakes, rivers, glaciers, weather and climate and ecosystems. Topics taught in human geography include population, agriculture and managing resources.
Together six topics make up 75% of the GCSE grade. The remaining 25% is for the individual coursework investigation. The coursework topic changes from year to year.
In Year 12 the new AQA Specification is taught. Topics studied include rivers, floods and management, cold environments, population change and health issues. In Year 13 next year, ecosystems and development and globalization will be studied.
In the current Year 13, the Edexcel A Specification is taught. Topics studied are ecosystems, glaciers, economic systems and development processes.
Both AS and A2 qualifications are exam based as there is no coursework element. Fieldwork takes place in the AS course and is examined at the end of Year 12.
A synoptic paper which is sat at the end of the A2 year brings together the range of subjects that have been studied on the two year course.